[AccessD] Future of Access?

Wortz, Charles CWortz at tea.state.tx.us
Wed Jul 16 08:52:04 CDT 2003

Arthur,

But in 30 years will the kids know how to use pencils? <grin>

That is one of the reasons I told Chris to expect some conversions of
his software.  Unless he is planning on staying on the project for the
next 30 years, who is  going to be able to maintain his software if it
is not converted every few years to a technology that people are able
and willing to work with?

The software does not wear out, but finding people that understand old
software and are willing to maintain it is very expensive.  The dBase
applications I wrote 10-15 years ago probably still would work fine, but
how are you going to find anybody that understands the dBase file
structure and is willing to work with it?  They would have to double my
salary if they wanted me to stick with dBase.  Thus, they all have been
converted to Access since that is a technology that has an large labor
pool of developers and maintainers.

Charles Wortz
Software Development Division
Texas Education Agency