[AccessD] OT VB6 Combo Box Problem

Ryan Smethurst RSmethurst at UxbridgeCollege.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 09:41:38 CDT 2003

Thanks Drew.

Big help, have managed to sort that out now.

Unfortunately MSDN is not installed on this pc (where I am working)...makes life a little difficult!

RyanS

>>> DWUTKA at marlow.com 07/15/03 09:10pm >>>
If you are using VB 6, it's help files are the MSDN.  VB 6.0 (service pack
3) comes with a 2 disc MSDN.  I personally have Microsoft Office 2000
Developer's Edition, which comes with a three disc MSDN.  Just a useful tip
(because I found that some developers did not realize this), but when you
are installing the MSDN, be sure to put a check mark on 'Put an Icon on my
desktop'.  You can then drag that icon to your quick launch tray, and you'll
never have to hit the help from within VB again.

Anyhow, I personally don't use 'bound' data objects in VB.  VB is meant to
be a light weight front end, so I try to keep it that way.  Combo boxes in
VB are different from Access combos, especially in how they can be
populated.  In VB, a combos have a .Add (or AddItem....sorry a little slow
today) method, which lets you add items on the fly.  You can also remove
items on the fly.  For quite some time, I was really irked when going back
and forth between Access and VB, because Access doesn't have that method.
(To use that method with a data source, just open the recordset, then run
through each item with a do until rs.EOF=True loop.  Quick and easy...and
then your combo is populated without hanging onto the database too.)  Much
later, I found out about the callback function capability in Access, so now
I like both versions, in fact I like the callback function a little better.

Drew