[AccessD] Future of Access?

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed Jul 16 09:46:11 CDT 2003

30 years is quite a long time.  This issue has definitely been discussed
before.  The real problem with using Access 97 isn't the .mdb nor Jet, it's
the Access GUI itself.  If you build an Access 97 .mdb, that just holds data
(so it's only tables), then it will last as long as the OSes available keep
themselves within their current paradigm.  Using VB as a Front End thus
allows an installable (again, as long as the OSes.....) FE, that won't need
to be replaced.

Creating an App entirely within Access 97 runs some other risks.  I wouldn't
really be concerned about A97 acting up with an OS, my big concern would be
it acting up with a newer version of Office, that may come down the road.
Everything so far has been backwards compatible, but who knows.

The big issue with OS paradigms, is that right now all available options
work in the current OS schemes.  However, if the OS paradigm changes (like
they go with some sort of virtual reality OS, or whatever), more then likely
Access 97 will not work correctly, but then again, neither will any other
option....because if things really shift, EVERYTHING will need to shift with
it.  Make sense?

It's kind of like saying that you need to build a car that will last for 30
years.  If you could build it so that all of the parts involved truly lasted
30 years, with no need to repair anything, your limiting factor is still
gasoline (which the car will run on.....just like Access 'runs on' an OS
like Windows 2000, XP, 9x, etc.).  In 30 years, gasoline may be completely
replaced by a new fuel source.  How could you possibly build a car with an
unknown future on the fuel?  You can't, you can only guarantee something
from with a set of defined rules.  However, if gasoline is replaced in 30
years, your car is probably going to be the least of everyone's concerns,
since everyone will need to change to the new system.  Make sense?  To try
and relate it to cars and fuel again, imagine SQL Server 2000 is the latest
model Porshe.  Now imagine that Access 97 is a 1969 VW Bug.  A lot of
experts will state that the latest model Porshe has all sorts of wonderful
features, how it can do things that weren't dreamed of in 1969.  Their
right.  However, right now, both cars would run on gasoline.  If gasoline
disappeared, and was replaced with a different fuel source, both cars would
need an overhaul to run on the new fuel (OS).

Drew