[AccessD] Future of Access?

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Jul 16 11:24:00 CDT 2003

While a shift in TCP is still a ways away it IS comming...
http://netlab.caltech.edu/FAST/

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003 8:57 AM [GMT-8],
Drew Wutka <DWUTKA at marlow.com> wrote:

: I'd agree with Gustav about going web based though.  That immediately
: resolves remote end users.  I personally use Access 97 .mdb's, with
: VBScript (for Intranet users) and ASP (but I can make most stuff
: strictly ASP, so no client side scripting is necessary).
:
: Going web based may even ride out an OS change, because you can just
: keep a web server running on it's own.  The only issue would be a
: complete change in TCP/IP, which I think is far more unlikely then a
: big shift in OS design. (With the exception of the 5 byte IP
: Address...to handle more connections....).  Also, what many people
: don't realize that is that web based solutions are using WAY over
: powered.  I crunched some numbers on our web server.  It hosts
: http://www.marlow.com .  First of all, it is running on a PIII
: gigahertz processor, with 384 megs of RAM.  Not a whooping machine.
: In fact, it wasn't even the top of the line desktop when we bought it
: 2 years ago.  However, with an average of 280 unique visitors a day,
: the webserver is using 9.8% of the systems processing time.  That is
: a drop in the bucket.
:
: Drew
: