[AccessD]OT: C# was no-ip.com

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Tue Jul 29 23:42:06 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:42:50PM -0400, William Hindman wrote:
> ...hhhmmm ...time to check your sources :)
>
> http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000webservers/

A quick look through through the A section indicates that the sites
that are doing e-commerce (accepting orders, payments, etc), are
not running IIS. IIS is running on the brochure sites, i.e. the sites
that are only serving information pages without interacting with the
user. There was nothing scientific about my search; I just looked at
the first few companies listed. But I've looked at these "top X
companies" surveys before, and they focus on the companies' brochure
sites. There are serious e-commerce sites that use IIS, but whenever
I've taken the trouble to look for them, they've always been in the
minority.

A better survey is the netcraft survey. It does include hobbiest and
non-profit sites, which tends to skew the numbers towards Linux/PHP/
Apache (i.e. free). But it gives a much more accurate overall picture
than the site listed above. Overall, Apache dominates the web server
market.

Bob Hall