[AccessD] A97 to A2K conversion issues

Paul M. Jones pjones at btl.net
Wed Jun 4 11:29:47 CDT 2003

I have an A97 application that connects to SQL Server 2000 via ODBC that
has been running for the last couple of years.  I recently converted it to
A2K.  I have since found a lot of quirky things that has led me to rewrite
certain parts of my code that functions perfectly well under A97. My latest
problem is that I have a fairly complex query that selects information from
several other queries.  This query now gives me an 'ODBC--called' failed
error under  A2k even though all the smaller queries that it selects from
work ok.  I am now thinking I might need to create temporary tables rather
than using queries as the source of the final query.  Without getting into
the details of the various queries, anyone has any ideas on parameters or
configurations that can be made with A2K before I take the route of redoing
a ton of work?

On another note, for anyone planning to do this type of upgrade on Windows
2000 systems, please be sure that they all have SP3 installed.  A2K did not
work properly on any of the Win2K systems that had SP1 or SP2.  Only with
SP3 did I get consistency I expected from what was supposed to be a simple
upgrade.

Paul M. Jones
Spire Services Ltd.