[AccessD] OT: the "Education" system

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Thu Jun 12 07:14:27 CDT 2003

Mark,

We have been ignoring the problem much too long.  We already are
graduating generations of functionally illiterate adults.  Think of how
many people cannot write a coherent English sentence.  In a time when we
are ever more dependent upon computers, which must be told exactly what
to do, in terms they can understand, where the absence of a semicolon or
a period will blow code right out of the water - is this the time to
give up on teaching language skills and critical thinking?  If we no
longer can say what we mean, or even be certain of what we do mean, how
can we properly program and control these stupid machines?

I once taught an "electronic spreadsheet" course for my local college,
and discovered in the first day of class that 5 of my 16 students could
not figure out percentage and that 2 had gone all the way through high
school without learning any Algebra.  They all expected the program to
do the analytical thinking for them and were apalled that they would
have to figure out what their formulas should be. After I got over the
shock, I redesigned the course to include the needed skills and
experience.  And, yes, I built all my quizzes and exams as real problems
and projects - absolutely no "multiple guess" questions.  I hate those.
 Almost always, a good case can be made for more than one answer, but
only the officially RIGHT answer gets any credit at all.

Okay, I'll quit ranting.

Tina