[AccessD] OT: the "Education" system

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Wed Jun 18 07:07:01 CDT 2003

Drew,

Yes.  It may well be one of those "paradigm" things - those things that
are so much a part of our environment that we don't question them, or in
some cases even see them.  I'm not exactly a self-efacing type, and I'm
not unaware of the intellectual gifts I got handed at birth.  What's
more, I knew full well that my high school education stood up very well
against most of the standard college curricula (we were using Boolean
Algebra and Differential Calculus in our senior year, and most of us got
advanced placement in one or more subjects, based on our college
entrance exam scores).

Yet, once I did complete the trip across the stage to collect that
degree, I had changed inside.  I knew I had achieved something.  Was I
especially different?  Well, no - most of what I now had a "stamp of
approval" on was stuff I had been using for years.  But, from then on, I
had a sort of "I have one, too" attitude that completely surprised me.
 (Could be "leftovers" from the traditional cultural point that Charles
mentioned.)

Tina