[AccessD] OT: Buying a PC for Developing Software

Myke mmmtbig at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:18:00 CST 2003

Note: I am using a hotmail email account to post to AccessD because
attempted posts from my BellSouth.Net email account bounce back.

Soon I will buy a new PC and drop the oldest one from the lineup in my
office. I'd like some opinions on PCs.

I'm an independent developer working from a home office with a DSL
connection. I live about 20 miles north of Atlanta. I use a keyboard
video mouse sharing device for all the PCs. I don't like fixing hardware
so I'd like a good onsite service contract. I don't need an OS or
software installed because I'm a MSDN subscriber. I'd like to have less
white noise from power supply/fans. I'd like to use temperature
monitoring software because most of the failures I've had were due to a
fan malfunctioning and the heat killing a hard disk.

Opinions on the following would be welcome:
    Intel vs. AMD;
    DVD RW for backup;
    Same day onsite service;
    Best value monitor configuration.

The easy decision is to buy a Dell. Anyone have suggestions?

TIA,
Myke