[AccessD] AXP mde fe / be to fe / MSDE

Eric Goetz EricGoetz at EGIsystems.com
Fri Mar 7 13:49:01 CST 2003

I'm looking at this process of importing the mdb BE into the mde FE
before upsizing. If I went ahead and moved the mdb BE to MSDE, would it
be best to try to convert the BE back to mdb (with DTS?) and import into
the mdb FE before upsizing to an ADP with MSDE?

What is "best practice" for upsizing an mdb FE that uses ODBC to MSDE to
an ADP FE?

Thanks,

Eric

(PS: Please let me know if I'm getting OT for this list. Thanks)

-----Original Message-----
From: Arthur Fuller [mailto:artful at rogers.com]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 5:21 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [AccessD] AXP mde fe / be to fe / MSDE

I don't see the point of this approach. In fact I think it would
complicate
your problem rather than simplifying it, since you'd get all the
problems
and none of the benefits. Instead I suggest:

A) make a copy of both the FE and BE.
B) import the BE into the copied FE.
C) find all record and row sources that begin with the word SELECT and
change them to saved queries.
D) run the upsizing wizard on this new combined FE-BE. You will end up
with
an MSDE database and an ADP FE that directly points to the database
rather
than going through ODBC.

Now you can enjoy the benefits: speed, direct access to stored
procedures,
UDFs and views.

HTH,
Arthur