[AccessD] AutoExec Macro Question

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Mar 10 17:05:00 CST 2003

> I'm not familiar with the Static flag.  Can you explain how this works
> and how I implement it? Couldn't find anything by this title in help.

Not "the" Static flag, "a" Static flag. A flag is a variable (freqently a Boolean) which you
use to signal the state of something. If you Dim it as a Static variable, it's state doesn't
change from call to call of the function. You can use it to tell whether the function has
been called before and therefore only run a particular piece of code once.

Here's an example which:

Function Test(Optional reset As Long) As Long
Static flgAlreadyRun As Boolean
If reset = -1 Then
 flgAlreadyRun = False
 MsgBox "Function reset to 'Uncalled'"
 Exit Function
End If
If flgAlreadyRun Then
   MsgBox "You've already called this function once"
Else
  MsgBox "This is the first time you've called this function"
  flgAlreadyRun = True
End If
End Function

--