[AccessD] Tech books ...

Geldart, Robert RGeldart at detma.org
Fri Mar 21 09:30:00 CST 2003

I generally agree with Tom. There are enough complications in Access to make
the idea of a "comprehensive" guide ridiculous. Smaller but meatier tomes on
different themes might be better, but would the cost to us be any better?

A few thoughts of my own...

1. "ADH97" is a great book, a great reference, but I've only used about 20%
of it. Looked through a lot of the coding examples, but unable to use it as
a tutorial from cover to cover. Use it as a reference when I'm stumped or
need a fresh look.

2. "VBA For Dummies" by Paul Litwin - the only "for dummies" book I have.
It's a great quick and concise reference. Term description, syntax, example.

3. Books, while good resources--often because of their authors--are static,
"old technology". Newer tech resources are dynamic resources like magazines
and e-lists. Responses and solutions are almost immediate, and interactive.
I am the only database programmer in a small department. This list gives me
a needed ability to talk with others and bounce ideas around looking for
solutions.

Bob Geldart
RGeldart at detma.org
Massachusetts Department of Employment & Training