[AccessD] Rate for first time

Bob Gajewski bob at renaissancesiding.com
Thu Mar 27 12:24:30 CST 2003

Virginia

When I first started taking on contract jobs, I knew that there were all
sorts of hidden costs, just like everyone has pointed out. At the same
time, I realized that I was a bit of a novice and would be learning while I
worked.

In order to ensure that the employer appreciated my worth, but still be
fair, I charged $75.00 - and then discounted the jobs based upon my
knowledge versus my learning. If everything that I did was what I already
knew, I sometimes didn't even discount it at all. However, on one job, I
saw that I would be doing many things that I had never done before, and
that the knowledge I would learn would be of benefit to me for future jobs
(that I would not be discounting), so I offered that contract with a 50%
discount ... effectively working for $37.50 per hour.

I not only got the contract, but they liked my honesty (and work) so much
that they hired me full time. I still do some contract jobs, and the skills
that I learn or fine-tune every day at my new career permit me to charge
full price on those side jobs. A win-win situation for me; all because I
priced my work at full value less a discount.

As long as I'm on this topic, I'd like to thank EVERYONE on this list
again, as this is where a great deal of my learning has come from, and put
me in the position that I am today. The gurus are great - they have helped
me with every single problem that I have presented ... and the lurkers and
learners have helped me almost as much, because they ask the questions that
I would have.

Regards,
Bob Gajewski