[AccessD] Intermittant problems loading images

Backroads Data backroad at idir.net
Mon May 19 15:44:49 CDT 2003

Hello, AccessD listers!

It's nice to be back after about a year hiatus from the group.  I see the folks on this list are still providing valuable help to developers, and I hope I will be able to contribute soon.

Here's a situation that has me stumped... hoping someone has had a similar experience or some ideas I can pursue.

Access97 application, distributed to single users (no networks), installed with runtime Access and Sagekey scripts.

Users can store images in the database.  Actually, I used the method shared by Candace Tripp that only stores the image path/filename in the db, then displays it on forms and reports where needed.  The user selects an image file (usually .jpg, .bmp, or .gif) from a standard Windows file open dialog, the resulting path and file name is stored in the table, and the image control displays the image.

This all works great - usually.  After distributing this feature about 6 months ago, I had a few users who said they received an error after selecting an image file.  (Error: "Forge Ahead doesn't support the format of the file '[full path & file name]', so it can't load the picture." -- 'Forge Ahead' is the name of my application).

After researching this, it appeared it had to do with whether specific graphic filters were installed on the machine.  I was able to create a patch executable that installed the appropriate graphic filters and set appropriate registry keys.

This resolved the problem for all but 2 users.  They still receive the same error message, and can't select any type of graphic files within the application.  However, they can insert the same images into Word and PowerPoint.

Does anyone have any ideas?  This is driving me (and my customers) crazy!

Best Regards,

Julie Schwalm
Backroads Data
www.backroadsdata.com