[AccessD] archive bit

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri May 2 22:02:18 CDT 2003

Just ran a test.  The archive bit is set when a word doc is opened and
MODIFIED and then saved.  just opening it does not set the archive bit.

Thus I built a Backup.bat batch file with the following:

xcopy d:\dev e:\Backup\dev /E /Y /C /M /I
xcopy d:\C2DbClientBilling e:\Backup\C2DbClientBilling /E /Y /C /M /I
xcopy d:\Clients e:\Backup\Clients /E /Y /C /M /I
xcopy d:\COLBYCONSULTING e:\Backup\COLBYCONSULTING /E /Y /C /M /I
xcopy d:\ColbyConsultingWebNew e:\Backup\ColbyConsultingWebNew /E /Y /C /M
/I
xcopy d:\NVFCNew e:\Backup\NVFCNew /E /Y /C /M /I
xcopy d:\Projects e:\Backup\Projects /E /Y /C /M /I

Which copies the contents of all of these directories to directories of the
same name under the dir E:\Backup, clearing the archive bit in the process.
Only files MODIFIED after that copy will be copied the next time the batch
file is run.

Now I need to figure out the scheduler and place the batch file to run daily
~ 3:00 am.  Thus all of my business stuff will be copied to another physical
disk so that if the disk dies, I lose at most one day's work.  If the place
burns down... I file an insurance claim and hit the beach.

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com