[AccessD] Replication Manager or Briefcase

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue May 13 12:06:56 CDT 2003

Ooops sorry that is NOT what I am suggesting. Keep the classic FE/BE design,
but put a replica on each local PC and put the synchronizer on some box that
is guaranteed to be up 99% of the time. The latter can be the database
server or any other box. In my case I chose my development box, since I
never shut it off.

So:
the main replica (let's call it the office replica) lives where your current
BE lives.
a replica exists on every PC in the branch.
the master replica lives on your development box.
you also have another replica on your box.

All but the master are managed replicas (i.e. the synchronizer does
everything).

This leaves you free to monkey with the master, to change table structures
etc., to write new code against the master and test until you're satisfied.
Once you're ready to roll out a new version of the BE, just synchronize with
your local replica, and next interval the synchronizer will propagate the
changes to every other replica. You don't even have to bring the system down
to achieve this.

To add new branch offices (assuming a WAN or VPN), place a synchroizer on
each branch's file server and have it synchronize the local replicas. Have
the HQ synchronizer manage the branch replicas.

Drop boxes are necessary only for indirect (FTP or internet) replication,
but unnecessary for direct replication.

HTH,
Arthur