[AccessD] OT: Network over the phone lines

Bruce Bruen bbruen at bigpond.com
Tue May 20 07:14:30 CDT 2003

Re: not more than 10

At my son's school they are using wireless routers with much much more
that 10 connects.  We reckon up to 60 active sessions at a time - AND up
to more than 200 connect attempts per router at the beginning of lesson.

Result - performance during the times that the kids try to log in =
absolutely useless!  Some can take up to 20 minutes of a lesson to get a
clean session negotiated - thus wasting most of the students and
teachers available time.  I estimate that the negotiated connects never
get any higher than 10mbps based on the experience of my wife who
teaches there and says that the school network speed is less than out
p2p 10 at home.

At my daughters school they use mini 5 port hubs in the kids "work
stations" ( 4 desks screwed together) and a cabled hub per classroom (
or at least 1 per pair of rooms)  Result - 10/100 connections in the
same time it takes them to plug in their blue worms!  For 1200 kids,
connecting up to 6 times per day.

OTOH - as we live 300m by road from my son's school and probably <100m
as the crow flies it does give him access to the school (and the net)
without costing me a phone line!  But is this a good thing - I think
not!  (who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of pubescent web
surfers!)

So I suppose it depends on what you need to do with wireless.  If you
want it so you can cart the laptop out to the doghouse when you are
accused of ignoring your better half for a great AccessD debate session,
then I suppose its great. But I reckon $15 worth of cat5 + a weekend of
blue language and a couple of beers is a lot better.

JM20CW

Bruce