[AccessD] How to prevent a mess

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 08:56:42 CST 2003

Dear Group,

I've been enlightened by Michael Kaplan's explanation of the perils of copying replicas and not going through a proper replication sequence with CD copies back and forth.

The question is: what now? The independent laptops are scattered around the state and its *very* inconvenient for them to come back to do a physical replication. Money to write a custom synchronization process is simply not available.

I note from Kaplan's explanations that if the replicas are unmanaged -- that is, Synchronizer is not used -- then certain types of problems can be avoided. Also problems can be avoided by using the built-in Access methods for moving replicas or by using TSI Synchronizer.

He also mentions using the Briefcase reconciler, but that doesn't exist in Windows 2000 or XP, does it?

I'm trying to avoid creating a mess. The application is in more or less a beta stage now, so we could start from scratch with a new Replication strategy. Any advice?

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI