[AccessD] Weakest Link

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 2 08:57:08 CST 2003

...yes he can run multiple nics, but why the extra h/w ...you can run
multiple subnets off the same NT nic ...and he can certainly run multiple
co-located servers with one be without replication :(

...your real issue appears to be db performance ...assuming he's already
running a 100Mb Ethernet and has no nic/cabling problems, then your real
answer lies in a server upgrade of one sort or another.

...personally I'd persuade him to upgrade to W2K Server OS with a minimum of
1Gb of ram, the more the merrier ...the server h/w, other than the ram is
not as critical as the server os ime unless his HDs are prehistoric ...W2K
Server runs circles around NT, especially in reliability, and NT support is
going away ...and if he has about $8-10K to spend I'd persuade him to go
with a new Dell server with a 25 cal SBS2K OS which includes SQL Server
...plus a free upgrade to W2003 Server (only AFTER the first SP though).

...given the costs involved in the different approaches, his TOC bottom line
is going to be lower with a new server since his maintenance costs will drop
dramatically with the W2K Server vs NT, even on essentially the same box
assuming its not stone aged ...plus you could immediately give him the
benefits of a SQL Server be.

William Hindman
<http://www.freestateproject.org> - Next Year In The Free State!