[AccessD] How to prevent a mess

David Emerson davide at dalyn.co.nz
Mon Nov 3 14:02:38 CST 2003

Comments inline-

At 3/11/2003, you wrote:
>I might try indirect synchronization if my client had a server. He has
>Windows networking set up in his office...just peer-to-peer, no server of
>any kind.

I don't think you need a 'server' as such - just a computer with NT 4.0 or
higher (Windows XP pro may even work).  All the laptops need to do is to
set up a dialup link so that they can access a folder on the main
computer.  Then replication does the rest.  Check out the replication
documentation for indirect synchronization.

>I don't suppose there's a chance that the Access database could be moved
>to a web server on a web host and have replication performed in some fashion?

Avoid internet synchronization - unless post 97 versions have improved
(which I don't think they have), you are left with no security to prevent
hackers attacking your server (internet synchronization doesn't work with
firewalls etc).

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd