[AccessD] How to prevent a mess

David Emerson davide at dalyn.co.nz
Mon Nov 3 17:39:06 CST 2003

At 3/11/2003, you wrote:
>David,
> >> internet synchronization doesn't work with firewalls etc <<
>
>Interesting. So putting an Access BE up on a web host would pretty much
>put it out of reach since the web host is bound to have a router, right?

No - there is a different between using Access as a BE for a web FE
(ASP/HTML etc), and using internet synchronization.  Internet
synchronization just uses the internet connection to access the BE
direct.  This means that the computer hosting the BE needs to be accessible
via the internet.  But because firewalls upset the synchronizer, you can't
protect your server.  One company I worked with ended up with a $5000 bill
when hackers got into their server and used it to transfer their files -
this was only within a month!  Ouch.

If you are interested there a white paper specifically on internet
synchronization but because of its limitations it is only of academic interest.

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd
25 Cunliffe St, Johnsonville