[AccessD] workgroup file (Sec Poll spin-off)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Nov 13 09:00:57 CST 2003

Hi Erwin

> I believe I'm not with with you....

> First, to set thing strait. It's only in our office for develepmont I'm
> speaking.

Yes.

> Second.
> You mean you have a shorcut that starts msaccess.exe with /workgroup
> xxx?

Yes. As I have one for starting a decompile.

> Problem with that is that you need a hard path to msaccess.exe and hard
> paths is something I try to avoid.

No big problem here. All Access versions have remained where they were
installed - four of them for 38 months. I see no reason to move them
around.

> I always use roaming profiles and hard paths can problematic.
> I supose solutions are out there, but I already played alot with them
> and they are often OS dependent.

That's a difference. I live in a Novell environment.

> You know, Gustav, It's not that a big deal...
> It's rarely I do a repair...

I know. But you mentioned it as it could cause problems to run an
Office repair and it really shouldn't be (regarding this topic).

> And I don't use workgroups anymore at customer sites.
> I use the network user name and match them with the users in the
> database (user management based on tables/forms).
> If a network user is unkown in the database it exits instantly (after a
> msgbox).

I like that approach too. Also - as few clients have Single-Sign-On
implemented - it's a good service to the user that the app knows who
he/she is and all that is needed is nothing (in your case) or the
password only (in our case).

/gustav