[AccessD] Can't open any more databases

David Fenton dfe at nudgeeinternational.com
Wed Oct 1 17:29:56 CDT 2003

I have a ACC2002 db that opens many forms and queries etc. I don't believe I am anywhere near the 2048 max table references.
It's a split database. I have a form (Form A) open which contains a tab control with a form and subform on at least each of the ten tabs. Clicking on a button on one of these tabs, hides this main form (Form A - with all of it's open forms etc) and opens another form (Form B) with a tab control and a bunch of forms. Each tab (seven tabs). I can happily click on a couple of the tabs and everything is fine. As soon as I click on one of the last tabs which contain 3 subforms I get the dreaded "Can't open any more databases" message.

I have read a lot of posts on this (incl. www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0010.htm) and have thoroughly checked my code to ensure that all my recordset objects are closed after use. I temporarily rectified it by closing the calling form (Form A) instead of hiding it, thus closing some of the table references. Form B works perfectly now. I only get the error if too many forms are open which have obviously opened too many table references. The drawback is that it is slow to open Form B because it is closing Form A and when I close Form B, I have to wait for it to re-open Form A again and filter to the record the user was working on before they clicked the button to take then to Form B.

My question: Is there anything else that I could do that I may not have considered? I believe that at most I have about 60-80 table references open at any instant (knowing that it's a split database let's double that to 160 references). Even if I am conservative and say I have caused 500 table references and double that to 1000, it is still nowhere near the limit of 2048. I believe it is a hardcoded limit of Jet 3.6. Am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

Cheers in advance for any assistance or advice.
David Ô¿Ô¬
Brisbane
Australia