[AccessD] brain farts

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Oct 29 13:11:52 CST 2003

Folks,

I'm trying to do boolean operations in a query.  I have a table with bit
mapped fields such that the long integer has bits "on" or 1 in specific
circumstances.  Now I want to OR in other numbers in SQL.  I have a SQL
statement that looks like:

SELECT MsysForms.FRM_GroupOpen, ([MsysForms]![frm_GroupOpen] Or 1) AS NewVal
FROM MsysForms;

regardless of the value contained in the field frm_GroupOpen, the NewVal is
always -1 for an OR or an AND of any other value, and 0 for an XOR.

If I have a 4 in the field, 4 OR 1 should give me 5, but it is giving me -1.
I believe it is "interpreting" it and saying it is true.  But why?

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com