[AccessD] Format Field

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Oct 11 17:42:46 CDT 2003

On 11 Oct 2003 at 10:33, Hollis,Virginia wrote:

> I am having problems with a formatted field. The FailureReportNo is a number
> field.
>
> On a search form, I want to double-click on the failure report number and
> open another form that contains all the failure data.
>
> On the search form I have the FailureReportNo with the Control Source:
> =Format([FailureReportNo],"""EF-""00000")
>
> On the double-click of the FailureReportNo I have:
>
>     stLinkCriteria = "[tblSystemMain].[FailureReportNo]=" &
> Me![FailureReportNo]
>     DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
>     DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmFind"
>
> The problem is the search form FailureReportNo field contains #Error & if I
> double click on the field (to test it anyway) I get Type Mismatch. Do I have
> my quotes wrong?

My guess:
You created the textbox by dragggin it from the FieldView window andf
then change dthe control source afterwards.

As a result, you have the textbox named "FailureReportNo" and are
using the field "FailureReportNo" in a function as the control source
(causing a circular reference)

When you double click, it use the textbox name
(Me![FailuyreReportNo]) to build the string stLinkCriteria which
becomes "[tblSystemMain].[FailureReportNo]=EF-1234"

Either - rename the textbox to txtFailureReportNo
or - reset the control source to  a simple "FailureReportNo" and
format it using the format property of the textbox.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg