[dba-VB] [AccessD] OT Learning ASP

Gary Ray gray at utah.gov
Mon Oct 13 08:44:53 CDT 2003

Paul,

There are several issues to consider before you take this step:

1.  Are you the only one who will be doing web development for your
company?
2.  Are there existing web sites in ASP?
3.  Are you going to try to integrate your web logon with your network
ID's?
4.  Is MS Site Server available to you?

My personal suggestion would be that you skip ASP and go to ASP.NET.
There are a number of compelling reasons for this, but ultimately it
depends on what your company will support.

As far as ASP classic books, my favorites were the WROX ASP series.
You can skip Beginning ASP; go straight to Professional ASP.  I believe
there was also an  ASP databases book in the series.

Before you but the books try www.4guysfromrolla.com - the best ASP site
on the web.  Search their site for Authentication or Authorization to
find possible answers to your specific problem.

Gary Ray - Application Developer
Workforce Information Systems R & D
E-Mail gray at utah.gov

>>> paul.hartland at fsmail.net 10/13/03 07:21AM >>>

To all, I would like to start getting into ASP, I have done very little
HTML so really don't know where to start.  We are going to transfer our
main booking database to SQL Server 7.0, and will be using this as a
back-end to an Intranet/Internet page.  What I am really after is a way
to create a logon page that grants access via a user table, I think if
someone could give me some sample code to do this (i.e. designing the
logon page and connecting to the database to check the logins) I may be
able to get a better understanding before we go to far. Also does anyone
know any good books for this, I am currently programming in VB/VBA on XP
machines with a Windows 2000 server. Paul Hartland