AW: [AccessD] Vba and Office

Ron Allen chizotz at charter.net
Fri Oct 17 11:10:45 CDT 2003

Alun,

I work almost exclusively in C# now. It is not without
it's quirks and drawbacks, but overall I'm very impressed
and pleased. Once you get past the initial learning curve,
its Good Stuff. That is, of course, my opinion, and no
doubt others here will disagree.

Another player in my shop has settled on vb.net, and she
is finding the transition more painful that I did for my
leap from VBA to C#. Maybe its because I was learning
syntax as well as the .NET way of doing things and so
expected nothing to transfer. When my previous knowledge
did transfer, even a little, it was a pleasant surprise. I
think she's fighting with expectations that aren't panning
out as well as she'd hoped.

My own question on this subject: is there any reason at
all to make a move to C++.net? From where I sit, it looks
like another steep learning curve for comparatively little
gain. My understanding is that with C++ you can have finer
control over some things but at the cost of giving up
managed code... that seems like an unwise choice unless
(one of my favorite phrases) there are compelling reasons
to do so. Any thoughts?

Ron