[AccessD] db As Database - A2K

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Oct 30 10:09:36 CST 2003

You MUST have the DAO reference if you want to declare db as a Database
object.  There is no database object in ADO and the built-in support for
some DAO operations in AXP doesn't exist in A2k.  You can declare db as
an Object instead of a database.  Here's some code from the code
librarian that will do it.  I'm posting it because I could NOT find it
in on-line help(less).

Function AddCustomProperty(strName As String, _
                           varType As Variant, _
                           varValue As Variant) As Boolean
    ' The following generic object variables are required
    ' when there is no reference to the DAO 3.6 object library.
    Dim objDatabase As Object
    Dim objProperty As Object

    Const PROP_NOT_FOUND_ERROR = 3270

    Set objDatabase = CurrentDb
    On Error GoTo AddProp_Err
    objDatabase.Properties(strName) = varValue

    AddCustomProperty = True

AddProp_End:
    Exit Function

AddProp_Err:
    If Err = PROP_NOT_FOUND_ERROR Then
        Set objProperty = objDatabase.CreateProperty(strName, varType,
varValue)
        objDatabase.Properties.Append objProperty
        Resume
    Else
        AddCustomProperty = False
        Resume AddProp_End