[AccessD] OT: Wireless network (sort of)

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri Oct 31 12:29:34 CST 2003

It is sort of half-way, but not really.

Switches are a "generation" better.  Hubs and
switches, on their most basic level perform the same
function.  They distribute network traffic.  But HOW
they distribute that traffic is fundimentally
different.

Unless they're one of the newer layer 3 or layer 4
switches, they cannot perform routing functions.  They
just hand packets off from point A to point B.  Think
of them as sort of a postman.  They have an address
for each device on the network and they hand off each
piece of mail to the appropriate address.  A hub,
using this sama analagy would deliver the same piece
of mail to every house and the one that it belonged to
would be the one that actually reads it.

--- Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software

=== message truncated ===