[AccessD] Using a 160mb hard disk

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 19 20:39:15 CDT 2003

The hard disk on my server (a 40gb maxtor) was filled up, so I bought a
160gb drive for $120 at Newegg.  It seems that Windows 2K cannot use any
disk larger than 135gb until SP3.  Which begs the question, how do you
install Win2K base on a disk it can't use correctly?

I tried a simple install, and it tries to do a format but fails saying the
disk is corrupted.  I'm now trying to use the original server system updated
to SP3 to format the disk, but even assuming that I manage that, It seems
unlikely that I will persuade the Win2K setup disk to recognize the existing
/ formatted partition given that the setup disk is not at SP3.

Is there any way to install Windows on a second drive while already running
Windows?  Is there any way around this or do I simply have to live with
booting up with the 40g drive and using the 160 g drive as pure storage once
I get SP3 installed and the registry hack done?

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com