[AccessD] Query Results Too Big?

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Sep 4 13:44:17 CDT 2003

No, the bigger the file the slower the system is rather the
definition...
XP changes size page file automaticly, if you have a very big pagefile
would mean that you do not have sufficiant RAM.
A pagefile are pieces of RAM moved to file due to not enough RAM.

But most of the time the page file has about the same size as your RAM
or more.

A page file between 400 and 800 MB is normal.

Spreading the page file over multiple physical disks does improve
performance (in case of IDE not on the same controller)
Well infact it does not improve performance, but it does 'brake' less on
the system.
Enough RAM is not a (positive) performance improvement, its rather
removing the break on your CPU.

Insufficiant RAM is like putting your feat on the speed pedal of a car
while pushing your break at the same time...

Adding RAM removes your feat from the break...
Same thing for spreading the page file over physical disks.
A disk can only access one location at the time. If you have a database
and a page file on the same disk it accesses one or the other but not
both at the same time.
Thats another reasons why SCSI is way better then IDE (ATA). IDE only
permits one access at a time per controller. SCSI permits multiple
access per controller.

Erwin

Erwin