[AccessD] OT: Friday humor

Billy Pang tuxedo_man at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 23 15:28:07 CDT 2003

Steven:

Nothing legitimizes Weird Al or anyone for incorporating lyrics that promote
negative racial stereotypes.

>From my perspective, Weird Al is an entertainer and his goal is to entertain
so I don't think his true intention was to promote negative stereotypes.
However, if the artist is anonymous, you don't know what his intensions are.
  So the question is, should DatabaseAdvisors allow FridayHumor emails that
contain content where racism was the true intent of the original author
(Weird Al or anonymous)?  Naturally, this leads to the next question: so,
should we be culturally sensitive or insensitive?

I don't condone what Weird Al has done and sometimes I find it very
questionable the way he chooses to entertain or the words he chooses to
include in his songs.  But some people will do anything to entertain.
Shock-comic Tom Green is another example.  If you know who he is, you may
find his stunts are disgusting and tasteless but he does it for the shock
value.  He's performed groteseque stunts like drinking milk straight from a
cow or played with dead-animal road kills solely to get TV ratings for his
show or promote his image.

This stuff does not belong anywhere on TV, radio or any media but what can
you do?  If you are going to make fun of cats, why do you have to include a
restaurant in it and why does that restaurant have to be Chinese?  Sometimes
it's difficult to get insensitive about this but you always have to stand up
for what you believe in.

Hope that clears things up.  Database advisors is a fine database community
populated with generous people who are understanding, helpful and noble.
I've been on this list for many years and I have learned a great deal from
many of you and I hope that this list will contine to be successful and
thrive.

Kindest regards,
Billy