[AccessD] form on top question

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Sep 30 23:25:34 CDT 2003

Susan, I just sent you (off list) an Access 97 database that does what you
want.  There's a form and a module involved (don't really need the module,
you could put all of the code on the form, just got lazy and used a module
from the old version of the MiniCalendar).

A few items to note on the use of this thing.  First, Access forms are child
windows of the actual Access Window.  They do not display themselves on the
desktop, UNLESS you hide the Access window and have the Popup property set
to yes.  Next, setting the ZOrder of an Access form doesn't do anything
(tried that....), because it's still a child window of the Access Window.
However, if you set the Access window to always be on top, then hide it, the
form on the desktop will now stay on top of the rest of the windows on your
machine.  The sample I set has a button on the form.  Push the button the
first time, and it hides Access, and set's the Access window to be 'Top
Most', so your form is 'Always on top'.  Push it again, and it will unhide
access, and set Access to the background.  That last part is VERY important.
If you don't set it back, everything stays behind Access...kind of annoying,
a lot of quirky stuff happens, you don't get tooltips (like the VBE's coding
help) etc.  Not good.  Also, if you just close the form, it will unhide
Access.....ack, I am going to send you another copy, because it will unhide
Access but doesn't send the window back if you just close the
form....whoops.

Also, this will probably work for A2k, but you'll need to set the modal
property to true also.

Drew