[AccessD] Ownership

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Apr 13 18:20:54 CDT 2004

On 13 Apr 2004 at 20:11, Andy Lacey wrote:

> Hi Richard
> It has always been my understanding that, unless a contract states
> otherwise, the source code belongs to the developer.

I don't know about the UK, but in many situations, it is much more
complicated than that.

>Having said that,
> however, it has equally always been my stance that if I'm being paid to
> develop something then ethically what I develop specifically for the client
> is 100% theirs. But the key word is 'specifically'. Most of us have an awful
> lot of code in our lockers that we'll bring out in any development.

In reality, *everyone* capable of developing a marketable solution does this.

>The
> client needs to understand this and needs to see that he gets the benefit
> because he doesn't pay for that stuff. It may be this that gives us our
> marketing edge when we go into bat for the work.

My standard "proposal" template says:

"The application will have been developed by Lexacorp for your use,
but the developed application will incorporate code fragments and
ideas that have previously been developed by Lexacorp and all
intellectual property rights to the application remains the property
of Lexacorp.

You will receive a copy of the source code for the application and
will be granted a non-exclusive licence to use such source code for
maintenance and future development of the said application for your
own use in such manner as you see fit.
You may not sell or otherwise dispose of the said source code, or any
application developed utilising all or part of it to any third party
without the express agreement of  Lexacorp. "

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg