[AccessD] Design question

Griffiths, Richard R.Griffiths at bury.gov.uk
Fri Dec 10 05:14:18 CST 2004

Hi Group

Design issue - how to store the title for a person record

Option 1

tblPerson

-------------

titleID

firstname

lastname

Option 2

tblPerson

-------------

title (contains actual value from tblTitle e.g Mr,Miss, Mrs, Ms.,Dr.,
Prof.)

firstname

lastname

Issues

For option 1 - every time we need person details will require a join on
the table (makes sql verbose etc) -

For option 2 - how to handle tblTitle changes - could use ref. integrity
or even simpler.....only allow user to add new titles and not amend
(can't see any reason to amend

anyway - amend 'Mr' to what??)

Anyone care to comment (can't believe I've 20 years programming exp. and
am asking this type of question - must be my age (just hit 40 ))

Thanks

Richard Griffiths