[AccessD] OT: Server versions (X-posted to dba-Tech)

Eric Barro ebarro at afsweb.com
Thu Dec 2 10:40:15 CST 2004

Andy,

W2003 Server includes IIS6 and the .NET framework as part of the installation. It is also "more paranoid" than any of the previous NT versions. IIS5 which is included in W2K server is more forgiving which might compromise security. W2003 server also has a better implementation of Terminal Server.

I use both versions. On my notebook PC which is my main development machine running on an IBM TP 900Mhz with 512Mb RAM I have W2K server. On my home PC which is my "play machine" I am running W2003 server on a P4 2.5Ghz with 512Mb RAM.

Eric