[AccessD] Please Advise: Should I Buy "Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Standard 2003 ..."

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Thu Dec 2 16:10:49 CST 2004

<Alan, think of this as an opportunity to excel!>

Didn't Lee tell Picket something similar before his cavalry charge at
Gettysburg? :-(
I hope you keep us posted as you wrestle with this since I am trying to
figure out an appropriate upgrade path for (smaller) apps. Good luck!
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawhon, Alan C Contractor/Morgan Research
[mailto:alan.lawhon at us.army.mil]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 2:50 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Please Advise: Should I Buy "Microsoft Visual
Basic .NET Standard 2003 ..."

Jim:

To say that we're just a bit "nervous" about this upcoming "adventure" is
a vast understatement.  The senior systems analyst, (who has never wrote a
line of "web enabled" code in his life), is in the process of figuring out
how to "curb" our customer's expectations - and simultaneously manage our
"stress level" - while the senior programmer and I get "up to speed" on
HTML, XML, ADO.NET, VB.NET, and whatever else we'll have to learn.  (Our
Senior Systems Analyst is a firm proponent of the theory that you should
"manage your customer" [and your customer's expectations] rather than
having your customer manage you ...)

If we have to go "full bore" and web enable the entire system, we're looking
at a massive conversion project - and we have to keep the live production
database going full steam while we're doing this.  George thinks he can
persuade our customer to go along with "web enabling" a small part of the
overall system - the "Approval Module" as kind of a "pilot project" - and
then evaluating the feasibility of converting the rest of the system after
we have successfully completed the pilot project.  He thinks he can get
our customer to agree to a 2-3 month development schedule for the pilot
project.  This means that Roy and I (the Senior Programmer) are going to
have to learn a bunch of "web stuff" real quick.  (I've already sent off
for several VB.NET and ADO.NET books from Amazon.Com.)

Charlotte Foust mentioned that she actually has some real experience with
VB.NET and web programming.  I wonder how long it took her to get "up to
speed" (and proficient) with these technologies?

I read somewhere about some poor unfortunate programmers who got dragged
on a "death march" and had to churn out a lot of code real fast.  I don't
think it will get that bad here, but I suspect I'm going to be chewing on
Roll-Aids in the coming months.  Martha, a very sharp lady friend I know,
likes to say, "Alan, think of this as an opportunity to excel!"

Yea, right.

Alan C. Lawhon