[AccessD] Queries with a mind of their own

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jan 6 23:53:59 CST 2004

On 7 Jan 2004 at 14:38, Selina Iddon wrote:

> In the past day a couple of my databases have started going haywire.  I
> create a query, add the field I want but if I try and group then it gives me
> the message you can group on "*" fields ... true, but I didn't add any and
> there are none showing in the design pane.  So I run the results pane
> without grouping and sure enough, the field I did add is there in front,
> then every other field of every table is there too.  I go into SQL view and
> sure enough there is an *, but I didn't do it, if I manually take this out
> it's then fine, but how did it get there in the first place.  This is
> happening with all new queries I'm making it would seem ... and when editing
> some old ones.  Any ideas?

Go into Options | Tables/Queries.  I'd guess that  someone has ticked
the box "Query Design: Output all fields".

For existing queries that are doing this, open the query in Design
View, select "View Properties" and set the property "Output All
Fields" to "No"

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg