[AccessD] OT - Starting On My Own

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 14 07:21:50 CST 2004

On 14 Jan 2004 at 12:10, paul.hartland at fsmail.net wrote:

> To all, I’m in the process of thinking about starting up on my own
> (part-time at first to see how it goes) as possibly a freelance
> Database Developer, I know some of you on this list are self-employed
> and just wondered if you would have any advice etc especially with
> regards to costing a project etc. Thanks in advance for any help you
> can give.

Hard to give any relevant advice on how to operate in a different
place, but costing is pretty much the same wherever you are. We've
had a few discussions about it in the past.

Whether you are working on a fixed price project or on a
time/materials basis, you need to work out your hourly rate first.

If you are looking at trying a fixed price project, you need to
estimate the time involved, build in a large "fudge factor" and then
make sure that you have the scope *really* well tied down with
agreement as to how variations will be costed.

As far as hourly rate is concerned, one rule of thumb is to work out
your *total* annual requirement including an annual salary, all
overheads, superannuation contributions, holiday requirements etc.
Then add a percentage on top of that of say 10%  profit (after all,
you are not in business just to pay yourself wages are you?).

Then divide that figure by 1000 to arrive at your hourly rate.

At first glance, that may looks a bit much - it's only working 20
hours a week for 50 weeks a year.  But when you get down to it, you
will realise just how much non-billable time is involved over a year
when you are self employed.

Just compare the figure that you come up with to the charge out rate
which the big boys use for their consultants  (not what they are
paying them <g>). Odds are you will still come in considerably lower
than they are - which gives you a bargaining point when trying to
sell your services.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg