[AccessD] OT - Starting On My Own

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 07:43:53 CST 2004

Another brummie! Or are you an interloper? Me. I escaped long ago before the
city was gentrified. Hope you're a Villa fan.

Anyway I digress. Firstly good luck if you do it Paul. I took the plunge
many, many years ago. Never regretted it but that's not to say there won't
be bad days ahead - Just that for me the advantages outweigh the
diadvantages. I would say, however, that you shouldn't go it alone if you're
of a nervous disposition. Not knowing when you'll next earn a bean can be
pretty stressful. You have to trust to lady luck and believe that the next
contract is round the corner. And definitely don't do it, as I overheard
someone once say, in order to "get more time on the golf-course". Ha, ha, ha
is all I can say to that one.

As to advice on costing, I'm afraid I still find it difficult. I would
though refer you to an article William wrote in the first Many2Many
newsletter (see dba site) in July 2001 called 'Consultant's Corner'. Some
good stuff there. Like William my experience is that it's damned difficult,
if not impossible, to raise your rate much once you're in at a customer. If
you quote low for one project and they have a second one they will not
accept you quoting high for that one. Once you're perceived as cheap you're
stuck with that perception. So always (I know it's obvious) pitch your
quotes as high as you possibly can. If circumstances (no money to pay
mortgage, kids on the streets begging, etc) dictate that you have to go low
to get a contract then you must fully understand the implications of doing
so. Try to make it clear it's a special deal - it's probably a waste of
breath but still worth saying - and, as William says, keep the rate high and
reduce the time you're quoting. You may know full well it's going to take
much longer, and you certainly want to make it clear it did so, but better
that than letting the customer think your rate is laughable. The problem
comes when you knowingly quote a short time and they jump on that and want
it delivered next day/week/whatever. Then you think on your feet and talk
quick (other calls on your time, several family funerals in the next few
days etc).

As to calculating just how long you actually think it will take.....well
I've always found a blindfold and a pin useful. Seriously though, only time
and experience will tell you.

HTH a little bit.

Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk