[AccessD] more on early versus late binding

Steve Conklin (Developer@UltraDNT) Developer at UltraDNT.com
Mon Jul 12 13:29:16 CDT 2004

Susan:
The early/late binding is entirely in the HOW, but how meaning in terms
of creating and specifying the object type.  By checking references, you
are just being a good citizen and making sure your early binding is
going to work.

Ensuring a Word reference is Not "blnBroken" then dimming a
Word.Application is still early binding (maybe we could call it "Dynamic
Early-binding"); CreateObject("Word.Application") is still late-binding,
no matter else you do.

Steve

PS: do you write for "Advisor"?  If so, can you email me off-list?

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 1:32 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: RE: [AccessD] more on early versus late binding

Well, I did a poor job of asking that...

My question is -- does checking a reference or modifying a reference
using the Reference object and its many properties and methods fall into
either category?

When seems to be the defining issue, not how -- right?

Susan H.

This is a question of just terminology. I understand the difference
between early and late binding, so nobody needs to launch into an
exhaustive explanation. :)

My question takes us back to the VBA's buggy References collection and
Reference object. I'm assuming that if you decided to use the available
properties and methods to set references this way, you'd consider it
early binding. Anyone disagree?

Susan H.