[AccessD] ALERT: AXP-SpeedFerret-PestPatrol problem

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 16 13:04:32 CDT 2004

Charlotte, spyware busted my Ebay toolbar -- jumped through all the loops
but have never gotten it to work again. :( My loss is irrelevant -- doesn't
really hurt me, so I'm not comparing the two in any way -- other than to
just mention that it happened to me too. I've uninstalled, reinstalled --
everything I can think of -- simply can't get it back.

Susan H.

The latest update of PestPatrol on my machine identified some files
inappropriately, including two Infragistics ocx files used by SpeedFerret
and some registry keys installed by it.  Needless to say, it broke
SpeedFerret when those files and keys were removed.  When I reinstalled
SpeedFerret, the files and keys were recreated and PestPatrol again
identified them as pests.  This time, I excluded them figuring that would
take care of the problem.  It didn't.  PestPatrol ignores those items for
now, and SpeedFerret runs but Access XP no longer recognizes the SpeedFerret
Add-in key, so there isn't any connection and SF searches fail.  I had a
long conversation about this with support at Black Mosannon and we
discovered that even uninstalling and then reinstalling SpeedFerret didn't
correct the problem.  I was told that another customer had had a similar
experience with a spyware remover and could NOT get SpeedFerret to run
properly again on that machine, even after reinstalling Office, all the
updates, etc.  I'm bloody-minded enough to keep trying to fix it, but I'd be
happy for any help. <wheedle>

Charlotte Foust