[AccessD] OT: The Great Primary Debate

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 4 07:41:24 CDT 2004

  I've kept my mouth shut too even though I don't agree with all the things
that have been stated<g>.

 Everyone misses the point that fundamentally, relational theory has nothing
to do with computers per say.  It deals with organizing the relations
between pieces of data.  Since computing systems store data, they fall under
the theory, but the theory doesn't exist because of computers.  It's a
branch of mathematics in dealing with set relations.

  But we've gone through this several times.  Anyone who's interested can
look in the archives.

  And for the record, I'm not grouping myself with Joe Celko or Fabin
Pascal.  Suffice to say I fall somewhere in between the two camps in terms
of living in the real world.  There are times when using a surrogate makes
sense and then there are others where it just adds complexity.

Jim Dettman
President,
Online Computer Services of WNY, Inc.
(315) 699-3443