[AccessD] OT: The Great Primary Debate

Scott Marcus marcus at tsstech.com
Wed Jun 9 12:50:17 CDT 2004

Lambert,

The whole problem with this debate is that on some level, all "natural" attributes are not really anymore natural than the auto-number. For example, if there were only one blue car in the world, the word "blue" could be used as a "natural" key. In reality, the word "blue" is nothing more than a unique identifier for the light that the car reflects. The auto-number is no more than a unique identifier between my program and the object. The program speaks numbers. I speak words.

Scott Marcus
TSS Technologies, Inc.
marcus at tsstech.com
(513) 772-7000