[AccessD] Outlook Object Broken

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 29 08:36:03 CDT 2004

Rocky,

  References are a pain.  Your choices:

1. Use late binding
  Pros: Doesn't tie you to a specific object model
        No reference to break
  Cons: No intellisense when developing
        Performance hit of 15-20% at run time

  Some use an in-between method of developing with the reference, then
switch to late binding.

2. Check the references at startup before your code runs.  If broken, you
can either quit the app or if distributing as a MDB, try to fix the
reference and re-compile on the fly.

3. If your only goal is to send e-mail, ditch the client entirely (what if
Outlook is not installed?) and talk directly to a SMTP server.  Your choices
here are:

  1. Command line utility such as BLAT
  2. Buy a 3rd party mail control
  3. Code your own.

  Out of all the choices, I'd go with 3 and BLAT or for a neater solution,
buy a 3rd party mail control.  Mabry and Dart are two companies that offer
controls that work with Access.

HTH,
Jim Dettman
(315) 699-3443