[AccessD] Your favorite control behavior

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 16:14:51 CST 2004

I use a light blue background for combos which are limited to list and for
controls that are not editable by users even though most developers use use
a grey.  I almost never have a 'New' record button on forms and permit all
manner of new records to be entered by a not in list.  For some kinds of
lookups, it makes good sense to limit entries to the list and I find that
the users like knowing that they can type in a new entry.  Some of my
subforms look like list boxes so list boxes have the same locked light blue
color.  Editable textboxes and combos with not in list capability use a very
light grey and turn white when they get focus.

I am a big fan of keyboard shortcuts so I use keydown a fair bit with
textboxes that have attached labels using an underlined character.  This
emulates the effect that you get with VB where you can place a label in the
tab order and use an accellerator key combination to get focus to the next
control in the tab order that is capable of receiving focus.  One other
thing I do quite a bit is to replace command buttons with labels because of
focus issues, especially when the command button is on a parent form to
perform an operation on a sub form beneath it with a currently selected
record.  You can change the look of the button on mouse down and up so it
appears to operate like a conventional button and you get more control over
the button's appearance.

One thing I've been playing with recently is getting the look that you get
when a mouse passes over a toolbar and using etched label buttons to give a
look and feel more akin to Java.  If there was an event, 'Mouse is no longer
over', I would be implementing this everywhere but as it is, there's a fair
bit of code required to make this work effectively.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com