[AccessD] Short Date Input Mask question

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Mar 16 22:27:18 CST 2004

>I determine with my clients what format they want the date in before I give
them the UI .  I call my methodology "Design and Development", not
"Development and Design"

And of course your clients NEVER change their mind.  ROTFLMAO over that one!

And of course you neatly sidestepped the question.

>At the same time, spending a lot of time developing automated ways to do
things that you only need to do rarely and which can be done simply when
they *are* needed - strikes me as overkill.

I don't spend a lot of time developing automated ways of doing things I
rarely need to do.  I spend a little extra time developing automated ways of
doing things that I need to do all of the time.  Of course having spent a
little extra time once I save it on the next project, and the next, and the
next...

And of course you never answered how you do make such a change when it *IS*
needed so it becomes difficult to determine how "simple" it is for you to
do.

But of course if you can't just change a sysvar then you must do a search
and replace of all format strings.  And of course we hope that all date
controls have a  format string.  Or do you just take notes as the user finds
controls that don't have a format string and go add those in.  Or perhaps,
you simply never make the mistake of not applying the format string to each
and every control that displays a date.  Oh, I forgot... "Design and
development".... over, and over and over and over and over and...

I really prefer design and development one time, thanks!