[AccessD] Using Access for Reports w/an ASP app?

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 19 17:20:40 CST 2004

Drew -- this really isn't in response to your post, but just a general
question that relates more back to the original problem -- kind of..

Does the Snapshot Viewer control solution have some advantage over XML?
Since Access automatically generates web-ready files, I'm curious why
someone might choose the control solution instead. It's easy to pull
together, but so is an XM-based solution. Is there some advantage.

Susan H.

I have a personal side project I call 'wolfweb'.  It was built for
displaying Access reports on the web.  My company has several 'report'
databases.  One such database has about 900 reports.  Most of these reports
prompt the users with dialog boxes.  The problem with taking a database like
that to the web, is that you have to rebuild every report, in order to get
around the dialog boxes.  I did about 4 or 5 reports like that.  Took two to
eight hours a peice.  I had to rebuild the query behind the report (along
with some report modification), then build an ASP page to ask for the
criteria.

Doing that for 900 reports was not going to work.  While it may have
provided job security until I was 50, it would have probably killed me long
before then.

So I built wolfweb.

WolfWeb is a multi-threaded VB program.  Here's how it works.  The first ASP
page asks for what database you want to use.  (In the working copies of
wolfweb, the db is hardcoded...).  Once it knows the database, the next asp
page displays two combo boxes, one for the report (which lists all of the
reports in the database), the next is the format that you want the report
displayed in.  When you select those, and continue, WolfWeb (which I have
running on a separate machine from our Intranet (where the ASP pages are
residing) goes and opens an instance of Access, and runs the report. At the
same time, it starts another thread, which watches the Access window.  When
it 'sees' a dialog window open for the Access Window, it 'diagrams' it, and
sends that back to the requesting asp page, which then builds an exact
'HTML' version of the dialog box.  The user can then enter what they want
into the HTML 'dialog' box, and when they submit that, their data entry is
replicated on the WolfWeb server (by the watching thread), and the process
continues until the report is created.  Then the asp page redirects to the
new 'temp' file which is the report saved in the format of their choice.

Works like a charm.  Only known bug is that if the dialog windows are
interacted with the Enter key, instead of a mouse click, it gets goofy.  I
already have a little Java script to disable the enter key (in fact, wrote
it working on the AccessD archives), just have never gotten around to
implementing it.  WolfWeb has been running here for over a year now, without
any real hitches.

The BIG catch, and the reason I never finished it to sell it as a completed
product, is the fact that Access doesn't treat it's forms like normal
windows.  WolfWeb eats through dialog boxes (criteria prompts, login
prompts, etc....(the two databases wolfweb is running for are both reporting
engines for an Oracle database, and WolfWeb handles the ODBC login just like
any other dialog window...), however, if a form is used for the reports
criteria, it will just prompt the user as if the form isn't open (which it
isn't).  I figured out that instead of dealing with the Access forms like
windows, I would have to use VB to 'diagram' the form, by looping through
it's controls.  Figured out how to do it, just never got around to
developing that, because it had already sucked up a lot of my time.

So, if you don't have forms to ask for report criteria, WolfWeb would
probably do the trick for you.  I'd be willing to sell ya the source for it
for $50 and a couple of beers the next time your in Dallas!

Drew