[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu May 27 11:44:45 CDT 2004

DWUTKA at marlow.com wrote On 5/27/2004 9:25 AM:

>Yes, I just had to increase a field size, which only took about an hour and
>a half to do. (Why?  Because the original 'size limit' was set in Access.
>The system was then ported to SQL Server.  The original size limit of 35
>characters (for a field to describe the exact location where an accident
>occurred) was ported into SQL server also.  The IT department at the company
>running this thing refused to make the change in field size (long story, not
>really the IT departments fault, they were banned from messing with the
>project, for a while).  So I had a little web based 'interface' to the SQL
>Server.  Unfortunately, it didn't allow for actual field 'changes'.  I could
>'add' and 'delete' fields.  So I had to make a temp field, run an update
>query to transfer the data into the temp field.  delete the old field, make
>a new field with same name, and longer field size, update the data back into
>the original field, and then delete the old field.  With the amount of data
>involved, and the delays in doing it through the 'web interface', it took
>about an hour and a half (though I admit was fixing two fields, but it would
>have taken just about as long for just that one).
>
>So in the end, you're right, it was an easy fix, because I got $150 for
>fixing it.  No sweat off of my back, because I got paid to fix it.
>
>However, an interesting twist to this incident, that $150 was out of pocket
>for the original developer, NOT the client.

WOW way to burn time... you obviously didn't have the right tools for
the job, because if you can ADD and you can DELETE a field, then you can
ALTER... and it takes no more than a few minutes, that's w/ the time it
takes to find the field and either write up the command or use a gui
interface to do it all... 2 fields, that's nothing, you were just using
a hammer....

<snip>

>Now think about that, is setting a field size limit to something close to
>where you think your client won't exceed worth $150 a pop?

No it's not, and you ripped off your client.  Sorry, but unless that's what you charged for just showing up, that's a rip.
--
-Francisco