[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

Steve Conklin (Developer@UltraDNT) Developer at UltraDNT.com
Thu May 27 13:35:38 CDT 2004

Personally, I stick with 50 on all text fields because I'm admittedly
lazy.  if there's a spec for field called "notes", then I go to 255 or
maybe memo.  If I get a call/complaint, ever, I bump it to 255.
Anything with 255 that gets a call, goes to memo.  The hoops you went
through here are not a fair comparison to just a quick visit to Access'
table design.  It is a 30 second change most of the time for the table
design (forms and reports aside). I just don't see this as a big deal,
there are thousands of  things a "bad" developer might do that would irk
me more than this.

BUT ...

Whatever happened to the WithEvents discussion(s) ... I was actually
learning things from that, as opposed this non-stop debate over
relatively inconsequential minutiae.    This thread had devolved into a
waste of bits and bandwidth.

Steve